And now we’re here. The current decade is filled with a lot phenomenal achievements in filmmaking, including some truly impressive effects. Actors have been brought back from the dead thanks to the magic of CGI and the process of de-aging is actually a little scary. The achievements in these visual effects is truly remarkable and has created some astonishing films.
The 10s has amplified the reliance on blockbusters to gauge the success of the film industry, with action films flooding the market. The decade isn’t over and there are already dozens of films scheduled to close out the decade with a bang. Cinema has made leaps and bounds and the advancements of technology have made going to the movies all the more fun.
My picks for each year are as follows:
- 2010 – The King’s Speech; The Social Network; Inception
- 2011 – The Descendents; The Artist; Drive
- 2012 – Holy Motors; Argo; Skyfall; The Avengers
- 2013 – Gravity; 12 Years a Slave; All is Lost
- 2014 – Boyhood; Birdman; The Theory of Everything; Guardians of the Galaxy
- 2015 – The Martian; Spotlight; Mad Max: Fury Road
- 2016 – Moonlight; La La Land; Arrival
- 2017 – Lady Bird; The Shape of Water; Call Me by Your Name; Blade Runner 2049
- 2018 – Black Panther; Annihilation