The eighties wasn’t exactly filled with revolutionary film techniques, but it is arguably the decade with the most iconic films. Dozens of the films from this decade have gained cult followings and memorabilia dedicated to them. This decade is filled with some of the most original works in film history and many deserve recognition.
One of the film genres that really came to life in the eighties was the action film. The use of technical effects and more dramatic set-pieces expanded on the action of earlier films and allowed for more impressive films. These concepts have continued since then and action films are one of the biggest genres today thanks in part to this decade.
My picks for each year are as follows:
- 1980 – The Shining; Airplane!; Raging Bull
- 1981 – Raiders of the Lost Ark; Chariots of Fire
- 1982 – E.T. The Extra Terrestrial; Gandhi; Blade Runner; Diner
- 1983 – WarGames; Scarface
- 1984 – Ghostbusters; The Terminator; This is Spinal Tap
- 1985 – Back to the Future; The Breakfast Club; The Goonies
- 1986 – Stand by Me; Aliens; Top Gun
- 1987 – Full Metal Jacket; The Princess Bride; Broadcast News; Wall Street
- 1988 – Die Hard; Big; Rain Man; Who Framed Roger Rabbit
- 1989 – Dead Poets Society; Field of Dreams